It is true that two rooms really help sell a home, your bathrooms and your kitchen. . .but there are small things that every home owner should know about that will help sell your home. . . if you can’t afford to a fancy renovation to your home.
1. A clean home and yard are worth every moment you spend on them, buyers appreciate it.
2. Buy new toilet seats that fit correctly (you’d be amazed how many older homes I walk into and the ORIGINAL toilet seats are there!) and that the lid is down for all showings and trash cans empty. . .and no novelty seats, I have actually shown a home that had clear acrylic toilet seats with barbed wire embedded in them, from then on, my customers called it “the weird toilet seat house”. . .don’t be that house!
3. Remove all personal photos and clean off your fridge, maybe a magnetic note pad or your real estate agent’s magnet but that’s it.
4. No more than two or three appliances out on your counter-tops, everything else put away.
5. It is worth the money in an older home to either hire or do it yourself-replaces every wall socket and switch with bright white ones with matching plates. . .buyers see that as a well maintained electrical system.
6. Have your air vents immaculate and a fresh filter in place.
7. Working light bulbs in every fixture!!!
8. Your home done in as neutral colors as possible.
9. If you are thinking about getting rid of something, do it now. That bookshelf in the guest room that’s falling apart and won’t make the move with you, get rid of it now, it will make that room seem even larger. . .same goes for other rooms in the house, the more furniture and nick knacks you eliminate the larger and more airy the rooms will seem.
10. Don’t be there for the showings.
Pretty simple and worth every penny. . .in reality I think you can do everything on this list for under $200!!! Even if you aren’t moving soon, these very small changes can make your home more enjoyable to live in.